Those opening words has special meaning for the Mormon pioneers that would eventually settle in southern Utah. However, for many generations the area was home to the Paiute people. The Paiutes gave it the name of Kanab meaning "place of the willows." Kanab was settled by the pioneers in 1864 when Fort Kanab was built on the east bank of Kanab Creek for defense against the Native Americans and as a base for the exploration of the area.
Native American attacks forced the abandonment of the fort in 1866. In 1870, ten families moved into the fort and began to establish the present town. That same year Brigham Young visited the area twice, making suggestions and supervising the town planning. For many years Kanab was one of the most isolated cities in the nation. It was cut off from the rest of the nation by the Colorado River, deep canyons, sand dunes and desert plains.
Dr. George Aiken
The Jewel of Kanab
The Kanab Heritage House can be found on the United States National Register of Historic Places. However, the Heritage House was not always in the beautiful restored condition that we see today. In 1975 The Heritage House needed a patron to spearhead it's restoration so that it could once again showcase it's former beauty. At that time, Dr. George Russell Aiken was one of Kanab Utah's most beloved citizens. He was born in Ohio on April 7th, 1896. He later graduated from Ohio State University Medical School in 1921. By 1930 he and his wife Juanita had found their way to Kanab. He helped people in all the ways he could, even though he was without any medical facilities. But by 1936 he was able to trade medical services for land, lumber and labor enough to construct and open Kane County's first hospital.
hours of operation
Public tours start every hour, on the hour.
Saturday: 10:00- 5:00
The last tour of the day begins at the last time listed.
Click button above to check for
Special Events & Closed Dates.